Pastoral Care is central to the vision and mission of De La Salle Senior College, Cronulla. It is a comprehensive concept that embraces the whole life of the College. Pastoral Care is vital in the holistic development of the young men and women at our College especially in their academic, emotional, social and spiritual development.
- Philosophy and Principles.
- Defining Pastoral Care
- Pastoral Care Initiatives at De La Salle
RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To feel safe at school
- To learn to the best of their ability
- To be treated with dignity and respect
PHILOSOPHY AND PRINCIPLES
Pastoral Care at De La Salle Senior College, Cronulla is based on:
- An understanding of God’s personal and unconditional love of the individual, who is created in God’s image and likeness.
- The fact that “the Catholic School is committed to the development of the whole person, since in Christ, the perfect human being, all human values find their fulfilment and unity.” (The Catholic School, 1997, n.35)
- Jesus’ message of love which is proclaimed in the Gospels.
- A community modelled on the teachings of St John Baptist De La Salle.
- The recognition of the value and contribution each member of the College community makes to the development of the particular charism of the school.
- The belief that teaching is a vocation of service.
- An acceptance of equity, fairness and justice in all policies, structures and relationships.
- A safe and disciplined environment where the students feel the challenge to pursue excellence in all areas of school life, spiritual, academic, cultural and sporting.
- A commitment to the development of self-discipline in students, founded on affirmation, in a secure, structured environment.
- The network of relationships between administrators, staff, students, parents and the wider community.
DEFINING PASTORAL CARE
Pastoral Care at De La Salle Senior College, Cronulla is an ongoing process which finds its inspiration in the Gospels and is founded in the love that Jesus Christ has for every individual.
It provides an atmosphere which makes the individual feel accepted, valued and loved.
It is developed through the interplay of relationships within the whole College community, based on mutual respect and open communication.
It encourages a freedom, openness and flexibility in the approach to student management that enables each student to be cared for in an individual manner, and places great emphasis on affirming the good qualities of each while encouraging them to grow and to assume responsibility for their own personal development.